Saturday, February 13, 2010

The blessing of family

I really have the most wonderful family. Sure sometimes I feel like the black sheep: misunderstood and isolated, and subsequently my family can get on my nerves.

But my family love me and they show it. And for that I am so grateful.

Take my husband for example. Amidst his study stress he has been thoughtful, attentive and loving. He's always willing to listen and talk to me and he asks for very little in return. He's interstate for his final exam this morning and he still thinks to send me a message telling me he loves me and asking if I slept okay without him. Since we've been married he has tried so hard to show me love in the way I need to be loved (i.e. kind words, conversation and quality time). I am truly blessed to have him.

Last night my mum and sister took me to the outdoor cinema in our town to see Sherlock Holmes. We packed a picnic and they made sure that the food they had planned fit in with my new diet. They paid for my ticket. They picked me up and dropped me home. We had a lovely night together and I felt so loved by them.

When speaking to my mother-in-law the other day I tried to invite myself over to dinner at her house for tonight, as they live close to the airport where I will pick up DH and they always want me to come over, even if DH is out of town. They had plans to go out, but this morning I get a message from my 22 yr old brother-in-law asking me over for dinner because he will be home alone. He even offered to cook! (But I think I'll pick up takeout on the way!) What a wonderful boy!

In the past few years I expected (hoped) that my family would grow with the addition of children to our marriage. This has not yet happened and I hope that it still will. What has happened instead is that my family has grown in other ways. Four years ago I married and inherited two brothers, one sister, and two parents-in-law. In the past year the two elder siblings of my DH have started relationships and these people are starting to become friends. Three years ago my sister got married to a wonderful man. Last week when she was OS for work he came over for dinner and we had a fantastic night of conversation and laughs. He is becoming a truly wonderful brother. DH's cousins are becoming my cousins and friends. My cousin's wives are slowly becoming friends. Dear friends of mine are starting to describe me as their sister.

My family is expanding. Not in the way I expected. But in a truly beautiful and amazing way all the same. I praise God for how he has blessed me in this way.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely family. :)
    I am glad that DH's tests are finally over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to see how God is working and blessing us in the midst of infertility! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! I am thankful you feel so loved and cared for.

    ReplyDelete